Thursday, July 26, 2012

My new everyday


Hours took it to get to Uganda: 16
Number of books lost from my bag: 2
Number of mosquito bites so far: 1
The amount of looks I received because people can tell I’m not a Ugandan: Numerous
The feeling I felt when I realized I still know my way around Kampala to Mukono: Priceless

Well I made it to Uganda. The journey to get here literally was a long one.  My first stop was to London. Ah London. I still love that city.  My old roommate, Tina, met me at the airport and we toured around the city together. The city wasn’t as packed as I thought it would be, but it still was full of people. I was able to accomplish 2 out of 3 things on my list. I tried to find Beckham, but I couldn't find him. Oh well. I was still able to see the Olympic Park, get a Team GB shirt, go to the British Museum to view the Gold metals, see a colorful part of town and view the torch. So with the torch I was basically able to see the top of the flame. My camera recorded everything though. The area was packed full of people and I am short. Seeing the flame pass through was took about 3 seconds.  I was still happy to see it though. Anyway, Tina and I were able to accomplish everything on my task list for London while dealing with the various Tube delays. I stumbled across different parts of the city that I never saw before. Which was great. Yet it made me anxious to see more of the city. I’ll get the chance another time.

Tina and I at a shopping mall. This a Jelly Belly Bean portrait of the Queen.

Part of the Olympic Park



 
Neal's Yard... so colorful 


After I departed from seeing Tina and headed back into the airport it finally, FINALLY, hit me that I was moving to Uganda for 1-2 years. I instantly thought to myself, “What did I get myself into?” When I landed I realized I was in a familiar place. It felt like I was visiting my mom or dad in their respective cities: I knew what to expect and I knew what to do; I did not feel like a foreigner. Besides the fact that my two bottles of shampoo exploded over everything in one of my bags (luckily I had no clothes in that bag), it was a pretty smooth journey into Mukono.

Mark, the director of the program I am work for, told me as we were entering into the University that I wouldn't recognize the campus. He was right. The campus has grown extensively. There are more buildings, better pathways (well, as good as you can get here with the red dirt), and an overall better flow to the campus than there was before. What I was more surprised about is how easy it is to live and go to school here than it was before. There is more Internet access here and electricity every night, thanks to the face that the University has massive generators now. Also there are signs up to direct you on where to go and what is what. This isn’t the Uganda I used to know… well more so the University I used to know. Yet all of this change is for the better.

My feelings on being here so far are mixed. A good mixed though. I’m amazed that Uganda so far hasn’t been this otherness to me. It’s been 6 years since I was last here, but it hasn’t felt like I have been gone that long. Even though the University has changed, I can still find my way. My scenery here is great. I don’t know if I saw this beauty before or not. The pathways off the main paths are beautiful. I am surrounded by big banana trees, unusual trees and old latrines that have been taken over by nature that now look like a piece of art work. While walking back to my room I already found a monkey in the tree above me. I looked at it and thought to myself “This is my home now, this is now my everyday.”

One of the hidden pathways leading to my room

I know I still have adjustments to experience. I know everything is not grand. I still have a new community and friendships to form and I know that all takes time. For right now though, I am happy to be where I am at.

8 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I am so excited for you. How odd the mix of emotions must feel. Praying for your time and transitions, and I can't wait to hear/see more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Cass, you would freakout if you saw the campus now. There is a huge library that has been built. 3 levels with an elevator. The main entrance isn't by Bishop Tucker Hall anymore. They have a new entrance that has a water fountain in front. There are few new buildings where the canteens used to be. I also went to Mark and Abby's house. Whoa! Talk about nice. It's pretty neat here now. I was really impressed.

      Delete
  2. Tiffy - You made it! So excited to keep reading your blog and hear about your experiences! - sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah buddy! Sounds like a fantastic adventure! Miss your face!

    Karine

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome! I love that picture of the path you get to walk to your room on. UNREAL! keep this going... i was so impressed by how you writing sounds like you... i could almost just hear you talking when i read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neal's Yard looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it got your texts late phone was flushed my a toddler who shall not be named hope you got the packages in time , donyou need bug spary becuse I can hook you up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Leonard. Isn't that your 3rd phone down the toilet?

      I did get everything sent in time. Thank you so much for sending everything. So far the bug haven't recognized that I am here. I haven't gotten many bug bites. I'll let you know when I do need some though. Hope you are well!

      Delete