Monday, August 20, 2012

A new everyday


I’m starting to get used to being here everyday. Everything is starting to become the norm for me. Just when I start to forget that I am in a new environment I encounter places like this…





These pictures were taken during staff day at King Fisher Resort. An event I had to plan.

Here is my new staff...


Rachel holding a couple of bird's nest she found

Brendah and I. She is moving to New Jersey for the year to work at an organization. I guess we both switched places.

Later during the week I was reminded that I live really close to the Nile… well an hour drive away.




On the canoe heading to Hairy Lemon

The place is called Hairy Lemon. It is a rustic resort. My cabin was about 50 meters from the Nile. It is really beautiful there. Hairy Lemon is located on an island on the Nile. We had to take a canoe to get there. I went there as part of an “American” retreat. Basically meaning just Americans from the University went there just to get away from the weekend. I was happy to go since my director paid for me to attend. I was able to float on the Nile and lay in a hammock while journaling. I can get used to the benefits of my job.

Drinking tea and laughing at I don't know what while in standing in the Nile
(photo courtesy of Rachel)


After floating in the Nile. The water is quite warm.

Well the down time is over. The students arrive early on the 21st. This week is going to be very busy. On Friday we leave for 10 days in Rwanda. I’m really excited to see Rwanda. I remember it being such a beautiful country the last time I was there.  I have read that Rwanda has developed so much in the past decade. Being in Rwanda is going to be a mixture of beauty and reflection since a fair amount of the time will be spent learning about the genocide, which is always a hard subject.

Alright, I’ll write in September. I’m sure I’ll have interesting stories and semi great pictures to share. Wish me luck. The real part of my job working with college students is about to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment